Trying to install F9 alpha failed

Mike mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 20:38:43 UTC 2008

Michal Jaegermann <michal <at> harddata.com> writes:

> There is more to a grub installation than just copying files.
> OTOH nothing prevents you from installing grub on a given partition
> even if it already installed somewhere else.  Try
>
>     info grub installation 'Installing GRUB natively'
>
> and read what will show up.

Thanks Michael

I decided that my lack of grub knowledge in the end made me re-install and
this time put grub for rawhide onto the rawhide partition and then chainload
from the pre-existing f8 partition by adding a couple of lines to the
f8 grub.conf.

The anaconda boot section seems to have changed from what I remember in the
past - there is no advanced box to check but you can alter the default from
putting grub on the mbr to putting it on the install partition....

I guess that there will have been a grub-install command to install grub
natively on the rawhide partition after booting to f8 after my first attempt,
and mounting the newly installed rawhide partition but I was unsure about
exactly what the commands were so have already initiated a new install
about an hour ago.

Hopefully the boot will succeed by chainloading from f8 by adding a few lines
with
root (hd0,7)
chainloader +1

since the rawhide install is going to sda8.....

Mike