F9Beta - no session selector, no updates available

Gerry Tool gerrytool at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 14:58:02 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 9:38 AM, Jon Stanley <jonstanley at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Gerry Tool <gerrytool at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > I just installed F9 Beta from the DVD.  The login window shows no way
>  >  to select a KDE session,
>
>  The session selection for GDM is in the bottom bar of the login
>  screen.  Threw me for a bit too until I stepped back and looked at the
>  whole screen :)

Thanks Jon,
I still stumbled for a moment since one has to select a user before
that feature displays.

>  > and unbelievably, the Update System app says
>  >  there are no updates available.  I understand that development
>  >  continued after the freeze, so where are the updates?
>
>  There are updates a-plenty.  You may have an out-of-date mirror.  The
>  easiest way to tell is to find which mirror you are using, then 'yum
>  install snake'.  After that, you can use 'snake-tree info <url>'  and
>  it will tell you what the .discinfo file says about the date of the
>  compose.

How do I learn which mirror I am using? Yum update doesn't display that.
If I look in /etc/yum.repos.d, the only repo that is enabled is
fedora-rawhide.repo, and it has the following lines:

#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/development/$basearch/os/
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=rawhide&arch=$basearch
enabled=1

Thanks.