psmouse.c resync failed

Andy Baumhauer abaumhau at neo.rr.com
Sun Mar 16 18:50:08 UTC 2008

Kernel 2.6.24.3-22 and 2.6.24.3-12 lockup my Dell D830 laptop with a
Synaptics touchpad.  If I leave the keyboard for a brief period of time,
and return, the mouse pointer will not move.  A few seconds later (and
the system monitor shows high CPU utilization), the mouse will stutter
to life, and the /var/log/messages shows:

Mar 16 14:06:03 mordac kernel: psmouse.c: GlidePoint at isa0060/serio1/input0
lost sync at byte 1
Mar 16 14:06:03 mordac kernel: psmouse.c: GlidePoint at isa0060/serio1/input0
lost sync at byte 1
Mar 16 14:06:04 mordac kernel: psmouse.c: GlidePoint at isa0060/serio1/input0
lost synchronization, throwing 1 bytes away.
Mar 16 14:06:08 mordac kernel: psmouse.c: resync failed, issuing reconnect request
Mar 16 14:07:34 mordac kernel: psmouse.c: GlidePoint at isa0060/serio1/input0
lost synchronization, throwing 1 bytes away.
Mar 16 14:07:38 mordac kernel: psmouse.c: resync failed, issuing reconnect request

After a few times going through this process, the caps lock and scroll
lock will start flashing on the laptop.  The system becomes unresponsive
and you cannot even ping the host.  The only thing that works is a hard
power cycle.  I have tried booting with nohz=off and noapci, to no
avail.  This is making Fedora totally unworkable.

I have added information to Bugzilla # 427697 which looks like the
problem I am having.  Unfortunately, it is marked with LOW priority.
There have been numerous other posts on other distributions about
psmouse.c and stuttering mouse behavior.

Here is the xorg.conf:

[root at mordac sysconfig]# more /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# Xorg configuration created by livna-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "single head configuration"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Synaptics" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option      "AIGLX" "on"