X.org server 1.5: An ABI Too Far?

Pekka Pietikainen pp at ee.oulu.fi
Mon Mar 17 17:48:38 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 01:38:11AM -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 12:09 -0700, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> > Should Rawhide switch back to a supported version of X.org,
> No.
+1
> > or at least make it an option?
> selection of ABI?  If you do, what do you do when the user wants both
> the nvidia driver and one of the stock fedora ones built against 1.5?
> Who does this work and in what copious free time do they do it?
Someone who cares (I don't) could do this work in livna/rpmfusion, which
ships nice rpms of nvidia/fglrx drivers. That stuff already does magic
to compile a new kernel module in an initscript and switch between nv and
nvidia if stuff fails. It could just as easily ln -sf /usr/bin/Xorg-1.4 /etc/X11/X
.

-> ajax doesn't have to care, nvidia users can use compiz until an updated
driver gets released. Evil hack but Win.

--
Pekka Pietikainen