anyone have a Lenovo T400 with working ethernet?

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Fri Nov 14 14:35:17 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 07:08:03AM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 14 November 2008 06:53:53 Per Bothner wrote:
> > The recovered device shows up as eth1 rather than eth0.  That's a
> > slight blemish.  Perhaps this is left-over from when I used a USB
> > Ethernet device and that got installed as eth0?  Some configuration
> > file defines that as eth0?
>
> Interesting.  My eth0 also shows up as eth1, apparently renamed by udev - and
> no obvious reason.
>
> Configured devices:
> l0 eth0 wlan0
> Currently active devices:
> lo eth1 wmaster0 wlan0
>
> Something odd going on here.

I think that is "persistent udev naming rules" which tries to keep the
eth name the same for every boot despite additional interfaces
coming/going, e.g. usb or other hotplugged devices.

You can find the mapping of ethernet address to device name here and
change it if you want:

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Also, make sure your ifcfg-ethX files have matching HWADDR= lines.
e.g. ifcfg-eth0 should save DEVICE=eth0 and HWADDR= that matches the
ATTR{address} from the persistent-net.rules above.