Dependency checking running for over an hour in -- anyone?

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Mon Aug 17 17:42:57 UTC 2009

On 08/17/2009 12:04 PM, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-08-17 at 11:44 -0400, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
>> Doesn't anyone have any ideas about this?
>>
>> It is taking between 1.5 and 2 yours for the checking dependencies
>> portion of a new install to run before the actual installation takes
>> place.  All installs were fresh with method=http:// etc, etc.  Two were
>> on a local mirror and one was on kojipkgs.
>>
>> Is it the method= methodology that is at fault?
>>
>> Please, someone, provide some insight.  If none, please point me in some
>> direction to diagnose what is going on.  I know that F12 alpha DVD will
>> be a good verification of methodology.
>
> You're not giving us any useful details, like what package set was
> selected, how long it takes using the same repos to depsolve the same
> set of packages in a chroot, how "local" your local mirror is, etc...

All attempts are with anaconda 12.15 using the boot.iso and kernel cmd
line parameters selinux=0 and method=http://etc etc.

First: method=http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/mash/rawhide/x86_64/os
and took all defaults.  Gave up after 1 hour thinking something wrong
with anaconda.
Two:
method=http://mirror.cc.edu.vt/pub/fedora/linux/development/x86_64/os
and unchecked gnome desktop and accepted the rest as defaults.  Time:
about 1 hour 45 minutes
Third: same as above except checked KDE in addition to gnome desktop,
k3b in Sound and Video and thunderbird in Internet.  Time: about 1 hour
50 minutes.  Repeated again and same results.

Once the depsolving is complete, the actual install goes quickly,
especially from the local mirror.

The long times were also experienced back during fedora 11 times, but I
put it down to using askmethod and providing the URL for local mirrors.
  When installed from a complete installation DVD, more realist
depsolving times occured, generally about 5 minutes or so.  Now I am not
so sure what is going on.

Isn't a fresh install done in a chroot?  If not, then I haven't tried a
chroot fresh install and don't know how.

Thank you for providing what is needed to investigate...it really helps.