rawhide install report: no go on older i686 with Radeon QD 7200

Adam Pribyl pribyl at lowlevel.cz
Fri Jul 31 06:40:01 UTC 2009

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:

> Trying to do a fresh install of rawhide on the i686 testbox I have, its a
> total non-starter.
>
> Using a Radeon QD 7200 requires nomodeset so that's on the command line, but
> it seemed to be ignored and the screen went to it's "rainbow" abstract
> pattern.  Adding vga=ask or similar makes it get into the boot process.
> Adding xdriver=vesa makes no difference.
>
> Since I'm coming from a local mirror, I add askmethod to the command line,
> but it never gets that far.   Just a black screen forever (where forever >= 5
> minutes)
>
> I'll try enabling the rawhide repo and updating from F11 next.

  I tried yesterday update to rawhide thru preupgrade on PC with Radeon
9200 and the result is the same. Anaconda won't start - after network
setup in text mode, just a blank sceen.

  After update using yum Xorg wont start.

messages:
  [drm:radeon_cp_init_kms] *ERROR* invalid ioctl with kms
radeon_cp_init_kms

Xorg.0.log
failed to add fb

Fatal server error:
AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0

> --
> G.Wolfe Woodbury

Adam Pribyl