monstrous failure of "yum update" on fedora 11 alpha

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Mar 4 10:04:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   i decided to "yum update" my f11 alpha system and, after
> downloading some 1500 packages, it went to work, unpacking about 500
> packages before every single package after that generated an
> unpacking error.
>
>   has anyone else had a successful "yum update"?
>
> rday
>
> p.s.  weirdly, some later packages are generating errors of
> "Couldn't create temporary file, no space left on device" but I went
> with the default filesystem layout so I have one large 80G root
> filesystem that isn't even *close* to being full.

  ok, now it's getting stranger as, after several hundred packages
that failed to update, the occasional package *is* updating -- for
instance, the eclipse packages.  then it goes back to generating
errors.  are those packages actually healthy?

  the update procedure finally self-destructs with (copied manually so
forgive any typoes):

     tmpepoch = hdr['epoch']
TypeError: string indices must be integers, not str

this happened right after failing to update totem-nautilus.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.