Please help smoke test Fedora 11 installation!

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu May 14 19:25:53 UTC 2009

Hi, everyone! As you no doubt are aware, we're getting close to the
final release of Fedora 11. For anyone who has the time, it would be
really useful to get some final smoke testing of the installer. If you
have some spare time and disk space - either on a real system, or a
virtual one - please take an hour or two to run an installation of
Rawhide, using the network installation method, and make sure it
completes without any really serious problems. We're particularly
interested in problems at the partitioning stage, since the storage
rewrite was the biggest and most problematic change in the installer for
Fedora 11.

Even if you have a slow connection and don't have time to complete the
installation, you can get to and through the partitioning stage
relatively quickly, and that's very valuable testing (we need to test it
on as many different disks, layouts, LVM / RAID setups etc as possible).

If you do encounter any problems, please file a bug, but also mail the
list so the bug can be reviewed to see if it should go onto the blocker
list for final release. At this point we're mostly looking for really
serious stuff, and regressions from the preview release in particular.
Official guidance from the Anaconda folks: "Any bugs introduced since
F-11-Beta that also are data corrupters, panics, failures to install in
"reasonable" configuration"

There's a test matrix on the Wiki where you can report results:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Fedora_11_RC_Install_Test_Results

It works backwards to most test day setups: instead of you looking at
the test cases and picking which to run, you should just run an install,
and if you hit problems, look through the list of test cases to figure
out which one it's appropriate to send your report to. Hopefully the
list of test cases covers all scenarios :)

Thanks, everyone!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey