Flash instructions updated

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Fri May 22 22:30:30 UTC 2009

--- On Fri, 5/22/09, David <dgboles at comcast.net> wrote:

> From: David <dgboles at comcast.net>
> Subject: Re: Flash instructions updated
> To: "For testers of Fedora Core development releases" <fedora-test-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Friday, May 22, 2009, 1:34 PM
> On 5/22/2009 3:05 PM, Adam Williamson
> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-05-22 at 14:05 -0400, David wrote:
> >
> >> Just keep repeating to yourself, "Linux is an
> OS...  Linux is not a
> >> cause...   Linux is an
> OS...   Linux is not a cause..."
> >>
> >> :-)
> >
> > Linux isn't an OS, it's a kernel. Fedora is an OS (and
> a project which
> > creates an OS), and Fedora certainly has a cause
> element to it. Note
> > that the first of Fedora's four pillars is Freedom. :)
> The Fedora
> > project is not a project to create the best-working
> operating system at
> > a given moment in time with no regard to the freedom
> of the code it
> > contains, so in this respect, your position does not
> match that of the
> > Fedora project in general.
>

> Just how often have you heard someone answer, when asked,
> 'what OS do
> you use?' Something other than 'Linux'? Seldom is the name
> of the
> distribution used.
>
> And that was not my point anyway. One person here needs a
> working Flash
> for his work so he uses Flash from Adobe. And another
> person was calling
> him, sort of, a 'traitor to the free software cause'
> because he was not
> using the somewhat broken gnash. He did not call it by
> name. I can think
> of several places the gnash does not work.
>
> This is all baloney. Use the tool that will do what you
> need to do. A
> computer is a machine, a toll. Not an altar. Bread on the
> table beats
> hungry every time. IMO.
> --
AMEN!!!

>   David
>
> --

Exactly.  If the thing does not work, then you have to use the tool that works.  I tried the gnash and it did not do the job.  You have to use the tools that work for you.

That it does not match the goals of the Fedora project, yes I have to agree with Adam.  But on the other hand, but one has to use the tools that work for our systems and those include the nvidia drivers and the flash plugin from Adobe.

Linux is a kernel, yes, but the OS is also called Linux(whether people like it or not).  Some call it GNU/Linux and you can create problems with what one writes here.  I call it Linux, he called it Linux you call it Fedora.

/bye

Regards,

Antonio