F12b won't start X on ThinkPad W700

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sun Nov 1 18:37:29 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-11-01 at 06:43 -0600, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:

> This looks very much like one of the contrived problems in the RHCE
> exam, so I checked /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

> (II) NV: driver for NVIDIA chipsets: RIVA 128, RIVA TNT, RIVA TNT2,
> Unknown TNT2, Vanta, RIVA TNT2 Ultra, RIVA TNT2 Model 64,
> Quadro FX 370 LP, Quadro NVS 450, Quadro NVS 295
> (II) Primary Device is: PCI 01000:00:0
> The PCI device has a kernel module claiming it.
> This driver cannot operate unti it has been unloaded
> (EE) No devices detected.

It's interesting that it's trying to use the nv driver. Is this a very
old NVIDIA graphics adapter, or do you have an xorg.conf that specifies
nv?

I need to know why it's trying to use nv, to see if this is a bug, and
advise you of the best thing to do next.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey