ath9k

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Sun Nov 8 14:41:58 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 08, 2009 at 09:28:52AM -0500, James Hubbard wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 9:11 AM, Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> > I'm wondering how others are finding ath9k.  I'm finding in 2.6.31
> > kernels that it will constantly drop connections. I see various and
> > sundy bugs on both bugzilla and the kernel's bugzilla.
> >
> The AR9285 (as reported by lspci) in the Gateway LT31 has been acting
> better.  It still drops connections, but will reconnect.  It's about
> half as fast when transferring files as the Intel wireless b/g card in
> a 3 year old laptop.  I've noticed that I can turn off the wireless
> with the switch but most of the time I can't turn it back on.
>
> Enough people are having problems with the AR9285 that I usually get a
> one or two hits/day on my blog where I detail my problems.  I had been
> using Ubuntu on the LT31 but had enough issues that when the F12
> support got better I switched back.

I've always found it better on Fedora than Ubuntu.  Not sure if this is
a regression, or if it's simply that I don't use the machine that much.
:)

Just for fun, I tried the latest builds from
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download

It still eventually disconnected.

Ah well, as this card is becoming more and more common, hopfully,
support will improve.  It was like that with the ath5k for awhile, now
it's quite good.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

 Buffy: What do you want?
Angel: The same thing you do.
Buffy: Okay. What do I want?
Angel: To kill 'em. To kill 'em all.
Buffy: Sorry, that's incorrect. But, you do get this watch and a
year's supply of turtle wax. What I want is to be left alone.