Does firefox upgrades need some pre/post install love to close and restart firefox during upgrades

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Tue Nov 17 01:00:06 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 08:41:12AM +1100, Rodd Clarkson wrote:

> The only issue I can see with the Ubuntu solution is that by the time
> firefox is updated, it's often too late.

Not to mention such details that "solutions" which scan every five
seconds for some flag file are vomit inducing and do not really
solve anything.

> IMO firefox needs to be closed before the update happens, not after the
> damage is done with the update.

Well, a package script could check in %pre if some firefox instances
are already running and on which displays and drop there some
alerts, with timeouts, of what is about to happen although that may
be harder than it sounds. If somebody would decide to add something
of that sort I would like to see a configuration file where such
thing could be shut down (or even better - turned on only if really
desired).  I suspect that such intrusions would create more problems
than would they solve.

OTOH something of that kind looks definitely better than that Ubuntu
hack.

   Michal