[Fedora-trans-ar] Common Words or Phrases..

Munzir Taha munzirtaha at newhorizons.com.sa
Thu Aug 5 03:13:51 UTC 2004

On Yau al-Thulatha 16 Jumaada al-Thaani 1425 04:39, you wrote:

> > > would be a glossary list, better to be discussed with other groups if
> > > we agree together ;)
> >
> > what's other groups you are talking about :))

Mainly I meant arabeyes since they have already began a common words technical
list. I prefer not to scatter efforts and still reserve ourselves the right
to deviate from some of the translations there if we agree that we have
something better. For example I didn't like their translation/transcribing of
product names. They used to translate KDE for example as كيدي and I propose
to leave these as they are but they refuse my idea strongly ;). Here also, I
want to listen to your opinions regarding this issue and depending on your
final votes we will consider what to do.

My suggestion of product names translation is to leave them as they are in
English. If an Arabic user don't know English and can't understand SATAN, he
would be more confused if he find it as ساتان. No need to translate
OpenOffice.org to say أوبن أوفيس.أورج . I checked what other OS are doing.
e.g Microsoft didn't translated Word as وورد Anyone can take a look at any
localized version of Windows or office or any other app like flash or
photoshop or ... and he won't see them transfering the name in Arabic.
Whether the reason is trademark issues or just get the headache away from
translators heads, this is the trend. Let me hear from you...

> > well, i dont know how to help you but i'll try to do something.
> > ok.. why don't you Munzir send me 20 Strings of the remaining strings and
> > i'll try to translate them.
>
> I am attaching you the same file sent previously to Desoky. Just start from
> entry 61 and translate 20 strings and send them please.

BTW: I am sorry I shouldn't send the file here. Just a mistake.

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Mandrake Club member
Maintainer of the Open Arabic Bugs Project at
http://wiki.arabeyes.org/OpenBugs
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS
New Horizons CLC
Riyadh, SA