[Fedora-trans-ar] Common Words or Phrases..

Sherif Abdelgawad sherif at redhat.com
Thu Aug 5 12:19:18 UTC 2004

> Mainly I meant arabeyes since they have already began a common words technical
> list. I prefer not to scatter efforts and still reserve ourselves the right
> to deviate from some of the translations there if we agree that we have
> something better. For example I didn't like their translation/transcribing of
> product names. They used to translate KDE for example as كيدي and I propose
> to leave these as they are but they refuse my idea strongly ;). Here also, I
> want to listen to your opinions regarding this issue and depending on your
> final votes we will consider what to do.

I do agree that certain terms and names should be kept untranslated.
Looking at it as letters in arabic will not provide any information,
so I guess Munzir you are right in not provide "pronunciation
translation".

> ......< snip> ...........Anyone can take a look at any
> localized version of Windows or office or any other app like flash or
> photoshop or ... and he won't see them transfering the name in Arabic.
> Whether the reason is trademark issues or just get the headache away from
> translators heads, this is the trend. Let me hear from you...

I agree with you. It is good to look at the others and try not to be off
the current localized effort. We still have to reserve the right to
discuss and validate any similar things in Windows or other products.

> > I am attaching you the same file sent previously to Desoky. Just start from
> > entry 61 and translate 20 strings and send them please.
>
> BTW: I am sorry I shouldn't send the file here. Just a mistake.

By default you only allowed 40K here. I get a request for action for
bigger files to approve. I looked at your attachamet and was like hmm
what should I do! I thought I should approve it and leave you a note,
but got too busy and forgot to do that. So yes, please for larg files
guys send it directly to the person who needs it.

P.S. I am sorry for not being so active here or on Resala Linux mailing
list .. it is just I have no time to breath! But I should organize my
time soon.  Munzir you are doing an outstanding work :)

Thanks

Sherif