[Fedora-trans-ar] Glossary - release / version

Munzir Taha munzirtaha at newhorizons.com.sa
Thu Nov 18 01:22:02 UTC 2004

On Yaum al-Arbi'a 04 Shawwal 1425 16:08, Sherif Abdelgawad wrote:
> > Munzir has clarified it in his previous email, we can use the arabic verb
> > of
> > release in the right context, while we can't do the same with version,
> > hence
> > the translation of release should be اصدار

> In the numbering of packages , in this context, it is minor number and it
> is not the final release of a product.

Sherif, release the verb and release the minor number are very well related to
each other. The minor number represents a release number not a version
number. Not every version is a release and not every release is a version.
Many releases could happen for the same version and they are represented by
minor numbers. Just try to look at it from the distributors point of view.

Release (n) merchandise issued for sale or public showing
Release (v) prepare and issue for public distribution or sale
(look onelook.com)

Hope this would release this contriversal topic ;)

> I agree that in saying "The latest release of OOo ...." to be "Akher
> esdarah men el OOo"
>
> But specifically on the RPM pkgs numbering, release here is the minor
> number. Cannot be "esdara" here!

It's esdar for sure ;)

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Mandrake Club Member
Maintainer of the Open Arabic Bugs Project at
http://wiki.arabeyes.org/OpenBugs
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS, Linux+, LPI 101
New Horizons CLC, Riyadh, SA