Transliterate or not to transliterate (was Re: [Fedora-trans-ar] arabic-fedora.org logo)

Mohammad Ghoniem Mohammad.Ghoniem at univ-ubs.fr
Fri Nov 19 08:53:56 UTC 2004

Salâms,

Munzir Taha wrote:

>Please don't tell me about translations you saw in newspapers, books,
>magazines, your friend notes, ... I am speaking about official products
>translation.

Well, again, except for po files translation, which has to do with an
official product belonging to redhat, I am not aware of any constraints,
legal or whatsoever, we may have with regard to a logo or banner
displayed at or representing the arabic-fedora website. Am I missing
something ? I believe we can do anything we feel like doing on the
website, based for example on "marketing" or "philosophical"
considerations. By marketing I mean making fedora seem (be ?) more
appealing or accessible to non-English speakers i.e. remove any
pschological barriers potential users may have because they can't even
read the name of the distribution in their own tongue. (Alright, I know
most _young_ people in the Arab countries have at some stage of their
shool curriculum learnt some English. Yet I don't think this is a reason
good enough to refrain from translitterating the distribution name on a
logo or banner.)

>Again, I am still putting the track and won't drag the thread until I have
>clear arabization. What do you suggest for these:
>
>KCalc
>KFAX
>KMines
>OpenOffice.org Writer
>

>I am not trying to challenge you, I just want to help you reach quickly what I
>feel you would reach after many weeks of translation.

I won't even try. :-)

salâm