[Fedora-trans-ar] Re: Transliterate or not to transliterate

Munzir Taha munzirtaha at newhorizons.com.sa
Sat Nov 20 04:54:49 UTC 2004

On Yaum al-Jumma 06 Shawwal 1425 13:18, Muhammad Alkarouri wrote:
>  --- Mohammad Ghoniem <Mohammad.Ghoniem at univ-ubs.fr> wrote:
> > Salâms,
> >
> > Munzir Taha wrote:
> > >Please don't tell me about translations you saw in newspapers, books,
> > >magazines, your friend notes, ... I am speaking about official products
> > >translation.
> >
> > Well, again, except for po files translation, which has to do with an
> > official product belonging to redhat, I am not aware of any constraints,
> > legal or whatsoever

As far as you agree that we keep the English product names on .po files as
they are, the logo is issue is rather trivial to me. Just we check legality
stuff and then we see the votes that supports Arabic and English and the
majority ... but would you please make it clear that this distinction between
logos and .po files is to be based on what? If some one said we don't have a
clue or logic on this distinction, I will convert him to you to convince
him ;)

> This is the heart of the discussion. There are probably legal constraints,
> as Fedora is a registered trademark. If there are no legal constraints it
> is actually preferable to tansliterate.
> How will we check? Your guess.

May be as suggested here we need to open this discussion on the Fedora list to
see what they say about it. I will send a message today.

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Mandrake Club Member
Maintainer of the Open Arabic Bugs Project at
http://wiki.arabeyes.org/OpenBugs
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS, Linux+, LPI 101
New Horizons CLC, Riyadh, SA