[Fedora-trans-ar] a treasure for translators

Munzir Taha munzirtaha at newhorizons.com.sa
Thu Nov 25 20:48:29 UTC 2004

On Yaum al-Arbi'a 11 Shawwal 1425 12:10 pm, Mohammad Ghoniem wrote:
> Salâms,
>
> Munzir Taha wrote:
> >There is a logical point in your discussion besides I have not definite
> > answer of why KHIDMA not KHADIM or what's the difference between service
> > and server. Thus, I will add my voice to yours and say that from now on
> > Daemon is KHADIM. If no one objects, I am going to add it to our beloved
> > glossary.
>
> Alright ! Now I have another predictible question : do we keep خادم as a
> translation for server ? For example, some dialogs in up2date require
> the user to enter the url of a server.
> http://www.c4arab.com/qamoos/index.php suggests مزود (muzawwid) for
> server. What do you think about that ?
>
> daemon = خادم
> service = خدمة
> server = ??
>
> I guess there are situations where the word "server" refers to the
> computer itself, which may run many services. Of course, in some
> situation, the same word refers to that piece of software that provides
> a given service. For instance, apache is a web server...

Umm! So it's that any daemon is a server but not every server is a daemon.

I would suggest ملقّم to make a distinction and to conform with M$ translation
which is not wrong here.

I want to hear from others before adding this to glossary.

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Mandrake Club Member
Maintainer of the Open Arabic Bugs Project at
http://wiki.arabeyes.org/OpenBugs
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS, Linux+, LPI 101
New Horizons CLC, Riyadh, SA