[Fedora-trans-ar] Re: Arabic issue #29: Some Arabic fonts doesn't display any character in Qt

Munzir Taha munzirtaha at newhorizons.com.sa
Fri Apr 29 11:02:06 UTC 2005

On Yaum al-Arbi'a 18 Rabi` al-Awal 1426 11:49, Lars Knoll wrote:

Hi Lars,
Thanks for your response.

> On Tuesday 26 April 2005 23:08, Munzir Taha wrote:

> > > CODE:
> > > QApplication::setFont(QFont("Arabic Transparent", 72));
> > > QTextEdit *text = new QTextEdit(trUtf8("بس"));

> > > Nothing is displayed in QTextEdit though two characters are passed to
> > > the constructor.
> >
> > Now I can even say that Qt handling of fonts is very buggy. I checked
> > with your demos/textedit/textedit:
>
> I checked, and I found a bug when using very large fonts. I fixed that now
> (for tomorrows snapshot).

I held my breath for two snapshots by now,

$ qmake --version
Qmake version: 2.00a (Qt 4.0.0-rc1-snapshot-20050429)
$ uname -a
Linux localhost 2.6.10-1mdk #1 Fri Jan 14 14:31:03 CET 2005 i686 AMD
Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ unknown GNU/Linux

The problems are still the same and nothing changed for me.

> > Arabic Transparent: doesn't show letters at all or show them broken
> > Diwani Letter: shows gaps and spacing between the letters
>
> Both work fine for me (after my last fix even at large sizes).

I like that "for me". Now how can I help you to make it work fine for me? Send
you my executable? my computer? ;)

> > Hesham Gornata and hundereds of my fonts: are not even considered as
> > fonts; they change nothing.
>
> That font is broken. It doesn't support Unicode at least. Try
> "ftview -e unic -f 1536 24 hgornata.ttf". This shows you the unicode
> character map of the font starting at U+0600 (the arabic range). You'll see
> that the font does not contain any arabic glyphs in this range.

Hmm! Does this mean that MS is doing a dirty hack to convert those fonts to
comply with Unicode or what? I tested with MS WordPad and MS Word 2003 and
they all just work. Still I feel you are right in not supporting non-Unicode
compliant fonts.

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Mandrake Club Member
Maintainer of the OpenBugs project page at
http://www.arabic-fedora.org/munzir/OpenBugs.html
https://listman.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-trans-ar
Master CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS, Linux+, LPI 101
New Horizons CLC, Riyadh, SA