[Fedora-trans-ar] Re: Arabic issue #19: QTabWidget doesn't display properly when reversed

Munzir Taha munzirtaha at newhorizons.com.sa
Sun Mar 6 21:57:38 UTC 2005

On Yaum al-Sabt 24 Muharram 1426 18:35, Lars Knoll wrote:

> > Thanks but this is not the fix I expected. I thought the origin of the
> > imaginary lamp should be reversed. In other words, if in LTR, the General
> > tab has the black shading to the right, then in RTL, the black shading
> > should be to the left.
>
> No, this is not what should be happening. Please have a look at the arabic
> version of Windows 2000 or XP. They do not reverse the shadows neither.

I have just checked the Arabic versions of 2000 and XP and found that THEY DO
REVERSE the shadows. Lars, do you have glasses? ;)

> In
> fact, since most arabic desktops will have some non arabic aware
> application on them reversing the light source will lead to a lot of
> confusion and look very bad.

To have a non-arabic-aware application among arabic-aware apps is like having
non-translated apps among fully arabized ones. Both situations reflect that
inconsistency and in both situations we need to do it the right way by
localizing the first and the translating the second to gain consistency. Or
else, we shouldn't translate any app so as to get that consistency.

> Or imagine if your application is mostly arabic, but contains some
> left-to-right subwidgets.

Isn't this a bug in the app that the developer should solve or is there a good
reason for this?

> If these had the light source reversed, the
> resulting application would be completely inconsistent.
>
> So the imaginary light source has to stay in the top-let corner of the
> screen independent of the layout direction.

In windows XP and 2000 it's in the top-right corner. I checked by right
clicking the desktop -> properites amongst other configuration boxes.

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Mandrake Club Member
Maintainer of the OpenBugs Wiki page at
http://arabic-fedora.org/
https://listman.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-trans-ar
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS, Linux+, LPI 101
New Horizons CLC, Riyadh, SA