[Fedora-trans-ar] Arabic issue #30: Word ligatures from Arabic Presentation Forms-A don't render properly in Qt

Munzir Taha munzirtaha at newhorizons.com.sa
Sat Mar 12 07:16:04 UTC 2005

Qt 4.0.0-b2-snapshot-20050308
System: Linux 2.6.10-1mdk i686 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ GNU/Linux

Example:
The word ligature
FDF2 ARABIC LIGATURE ALLAH ISOLATED FORM
      <isolated> U+0627 ARABIC LETTER ALEF U+0644 ARABIC LETTER LAM U+0644
ARABIC LETTER LAM U+0647 ARABIC LETTER HEH

When typing those isolated characters, they should be substituted instantly by
the word ligature FDF2 if available in the font (I used KCharSelect and
gucharmap to verify the existence of the glyph in the font Tahoma) as is the
case now in my kmail composer of KDE release 3.3.2. An OpenType feature?

Even if I copy that word from my kmail to a QTextEdit/QLineEdit widget the
HARAKAT and the nice shaping disappears. Below you can see the correct
ligature in Arabic
الله
The SHADDA and the small ALEF is not typed by me but appeared automatically.
Now take that, paste it in QTextEdit and see how they disappear.

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Mandrake Club Member
Maintainer of the OpenBugs Wiki page at
http://arabic-fedora.org/
https://listman.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-trans-ar
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS, Linux+, LPI 101
New Horizons CLC, Riyadh, SA