More details on Issues with Release Notes translations

Ruediger Landmann r.landmann at redhat.com
Thu Nov 19 00:07:10 UTC 2009

On 11/19/2009 02:03 AM, John J. McDonough wrote:
> Going through all the languages on docs.fp.o I find some interesting
> things.
>
> pt-BR is marked draft and is, in fact, older than the others. It is
> missing the sections that are not translated in the other languages. I
> think the discoonect here is that on the first push to docs.fp.o, I
> pushed all languages that were at greater than 90%. Since then we have
> only pushed 100%. pt-BR is still only at 92%.

Correct -- this (and the Czech HTML version) are incomplete translations
of an earlier version of the doc.

> We probably should bring up on the trans list whether we want to wait
> for 100%. The French team in particular objected to pushing partly
> translated documents. I suspect some of the others may want to see
> mostly translated documents published.

We also need to distinguish between parking partial translations
somewhere for translators to proofread (at least until we get Transifex
0.7, which will make it much easier for translators to build the docs
themselves) and publishing them on d.fp.o.

While it's only docs maintainers publishing the docs, I think we can
only hope to agree on a threshold (whether 100%, 95%, or whatever) to
apply to all translations.

Another (and I think, better) alternative is that once it becomes easy
for translators to build the docs themselves, then the leaders (and
possibly other members) of the various teams should get commit access to
d.fp.o. This way, each team can be responsible for publishing their
translation themselves. This way, each team has more control over how
and when their work gets published. It also spreads the work around more
— what we're doing now is not really sustainable or scalable.

> In all the other languages, 4.1.6, 5.2.2, 5.6.1, and 5.7.1 are not
> translated
> All are missing the revision history
> Titles for 7.5 and 8.9 are untranslated
> Title for 4.4 is untranslated in all except Chinese and Russian
> Title for 4.1 is untranslated in Dutch
>
> On the copies I ran last night
> (http://fedora.is-sixsigma.com/F12beta/), I only checked Dutch,
> Portuguese, Polish and Spanish. On those, all of the sections
> untranslated on docs.fp.o were translated. In Dutch, Portuguese and
> Polish, the title for 8.9 was translated.

Thanks for the sleuthing, John. I have answers for some of these already
— I'll follow up on the others and post my findings shortly.

Cheers

Rudi