[fedora-virt] In F11, still disable NetworkManager if bridging?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Apr 30 10:26:00 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 06:48:18PM -0400, sean darcy wrote:
> I've an xp virtual machine on qemu/kvm, F11. I'd like to be able reach
> it over the network - for instance with NX. To do that, I'm trying to
> set up bridged networking.  The howto at
> http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking says:
>
> As of time of writing (Fedora 9) NetworkManager does not support
> bridging, so it is necessary to disable it, and revert to "classic"
> network initscripts
>
> Still true? If not, how do you set up bridging on NM?

NetworkManager does not support bridging, but it is not technically
neccessary to disable NM completely. You merely need to disable it
for the particular network cards you wish to bridge. You can do this
by creating an ifcfg-XXX file for the NIC in question and adding the
lkine

  NM_CONTROLLED=no

and then networkmanager will ignore that.

> A howto on setting up kvm networking on F9
> (http://www.linux-kvm.com/content/using-bridged-networking-virt-manager)
> and the ubuntu howto's talk about creating a tap interface. The
> libvirt.org doesn't. Is a tap interface required/useful?
>
> Do I need a physical network card for each bridged vm? Is this what
> the tap interface is for?

You should never have to worry about tap devices at all. libvirt takes
care of all tap device creation. The only manual config you should ever
need todo is to configure a bridge device as per that wiki page above.

In Fedora 12, we will hopefully be able to do this from virt-manager
too

Daniel