[fedora-virt] F11 features - sVirt Mandatory Access Control

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed Feb 4 09:30:34 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 16:49 +0800, Harish Pillay wrote:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Documentation_Virtualization_Beat
>
> >From that page, it says:
>
> 'The kernel-xen package has been obsoleted by the integration of
> paravirtualization operations in the upstream kernel. The kernel package
> in Fedora 11 supports booting as a guest domU, but will not function as
> a dom0 until such support is provided upstream. The most recent Fedora
> release with dom0 support is Fedora 8.'
>
> As I write this, I am running F10 on a hardware virt enabled machine
> (Dell Latitude D620) and have installed F10 and other distros as guests.
> Hence, the statement above is unclear to me for F10 is running as both
> dom0 and domU.
>
> Am I not reading something right?

I think you're using KVM, not Xen :-)

Dom0 and DomU are only terms we use in relation to Xen - when talking
about KVM, we usually use the terms "host" and "guest".

The release note could be changed to "Xen Kernel Support" rather than
"Unified Kernel Image" and be moved towards the end of the notes. A
casual user doesn't really even need to know about KVM vs. Xen.

Cheers,
Mark.