[Fedora-websites-list] Re: Fedora Websites Agenda

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Nov 14 13:28:32 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 15:31 -0600, Patrick Barnes wrote:
> I love the wiki, but sometimes I hate it, too.  I hope we can figure out
> how to make all of these things work the way we want them to.  I'd
> really like to see this wiki provide both a wonderful example of what
> can be done with a wiki and a brilliant Linux distribution website.

Let's be careful about trying to make a Wiki into what it is not.

It is an OK way to edit content.

It is a great way to spur contribution.

It is a very easy way to make changes to content.

What it is not is a CMS.

Once we add the functions of a CMS, it is now a CMS with Wiki-editing
functionality.  That is not necessarily a bad thing, IMO.

Where it makes sense to _not_ use a Wiki, let's not.  I think the front
page for the project is just such a location:

* It does not need regular editing by the community.
* It does not need to be hampered by tool functionality.
* It does need to be visually appealing.
* It does need to be easily changeable by specific editors.

A CMS can handle all this.  In the meantime, how about using good ol'
XHTML and CSS that we check into CVS and is pulled into index.html on an
hourly basis?

- Karsten
                       Red Hat SELinux Guide