[Fedora-websites-list] Re: Fedora Websites Agenda

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Tue Nov 8 21:31:42 UTC 2005

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>
>> Hello All, "Kind of Blue" the new Fedoraproject.org theme was
>> designed by Diana
>> (Fong) of Redhat. I think that we should consult Diana with any redesign
>> such as the placement of the 'Parent' links. I am not sure if she is
>> subscribed to the list but can someone check that?
> I subscribed her to this list precisely for such discussions.
>
>> I am currently working with Diana to implement a generic front page. A
>> mockup is at http://www.isity.net/temp/reformat.png . We may need to
>> have a different CSS for the front page because I am having a hard time
>> incorporating it in the limited functionality design functionality that
>> wiki gives.
>>
> Thank you for your work.
>
> Having a wiki as frontpage but one that looks elegant is kind of hard
> but this mockup is a nice start . Dropping the "Get Fedora" title
> might be good.
Overall, that mockup looks good, and does one thing that I wish we could
do properly with the wiki and current theme: placing content in
columns.  This can be done using the wiki.  In fact, that entire mockup
can be done using wiki markup.  The problem comes when the viewport is
resized.  Due to the way the pages are constructed and the style
applied, reducing the viewport below a certain depth invariably breaks
the page.  The sidebar and page content end up mangled, as the page
content leaks into the sidebar.  I have been unable to come up with a
solution that will work in the current implementation of the wiki.  The
ability to override styles and use raw HTML has been a barrier.  I'm
sure a few people on this list remember early experiments with the
current FrontPage design.  We had used side-by-side content in the "Get
Fedora" section, and it broke at a little under 1024x768.

> Patrick Barnes , can we get your patch to hide the sidebar for users
> not logged in, included in the wiki implementation?.  More people
> relate "Development" to coding. Maybe that can be calling
> Participating or Community instead to emphasize on other forms of
> contributions too.
>
> If we get the sidebar hidden by default, would it be possible to
> arrange the links to be something other than a straight list?. Also
> many links that are present in the current frontpage
> http://fedoraproject.org seems to be missing in your mockup. Is that
> intentional?
I have created a new wiki page and uploaded the patch:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PatrickBarnes/MoinMoin

As far as the missing links, placing the same bar that is on the current
version at the top of that mockup wouldn't look bad and would provide
the necessary links.  I agree with changing "Development" to
"Participating" or "Contributing", and I'm also concerned with the
"Links" header.  Those aren't user-centric links, and might be confused
for such with that header.

> regards
> Rahul

I love the wiki, but sometimes I hate it, too.  I hope we can figure out
how to make all of these things work the way we want them to.  I'd
really like to see this wiki provide both a wonderful example of what
can be done with a wiki and a brilliant Linux distribution website.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

www.n-man.com