Fedora Website

Patrick W. Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Sun Dec 3 09:15:43 UTC 2006

On Friday 01 December 2006 18:29, Jeremy Sieczko wrote:

> I have noticed that the fedora community website is not to "user friendly"
> to non-developer users, especially for window users (which i am).  I found
> it very hard trying to understand what benefits fedora has for me over Ms
> windows rather than it being free.

We don't specifically target Windows users.  We don't see it as a direct
competition.  The users we pick up have usually already heard of Linux and
are aware of at least some of the ways that Linux might benefit them.  In
case they aren't aware of what Linux is, our overviews and pages which
attempt to answer common questions should be able to give them a basic
understanding.  If they like what they see, they can consider trying it and
comparing it to their Windows experience.  You'll be missing much of that
information if you're only reviewing fedora.redhat.com...

> So I have take the time to redesign
> the http://fedora.redhat.com/
> website.

fedora.redhat.com is no longer our official site.  It has been succeeded by
http://fedoraproject.org/ and will continue to be phased out.

> I have taken into account non-linux users and provided dedicated
> pages for them explaining everything they need to know in one spot. I have
> also done my best to make the site look more professional and have taken an
> approach that better "sells" fedora to potential users.

Fedora is not a packaged product that we are attempting to push to users.  It
is a project that is made readily available to anyone who is interested in
trying it.  If you want to see a packaged product which specifically attempts
to compete with other platforms, look at Red Hat Enterprise Linux.  The
difference in how we handle growing our user-base is important to us.

fedoraproject.org already provides a lot of good information, information
which is constantly expanding and improving.  Of course, we can always use
help in improving upon that information.  If that's something you'd be
interested in, you might want to check out the Fedora Documentation Project:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject

Some of the documents that are in the works cover getting started with Fedora,
which will effectively highlight advantages of Fedora over some other
platforms.  Drawing attention to these and to the Fedora Project's assorted
overviews and FAQs is also something that the Documentation Project works on.

> I am attaching a screenshot of my design...please let me know what you
> think. If you like the design I will be more than happy to develop it
> further and/or modify it in any way necessary. I really hope you like my
> design!

The design does look nice, but, as we are phasing out fedora.redhat.com, it
wouldn't really fit elsewhere in our websites.  Perhaps you'd be interested
in working with our design team after we finally get our upcoming Plone site
up and running.  Watch this list for more details on that.

> And if you could, could you please send me the email to the fedora
> website webmaster<<<I didn't know I could use so many "I"s in one email :p

This is the best list for you to subscribe to in order to get relevant mail.
The Fedora Websites team is responsible for site upkeep, except for the
backend (which the Infrastructure team handles).  The webmaster@ address
feeds into our ticket system, from which issues will be collected and fed to
this list or to Bugzilla.  For links to relevant Bugzilla queries, as well as
other information relevant to Fedora websites, see the main Websites page:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Websites

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com