fedora.redhat.com

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri May 5 00:06:02 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 15:37 -0500, Patrick W. Barnes wrote:
> On Thursday 04 May 2006 12:02, Max Spevack <mspevack at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Hey folks,
> >
> > I'm curious to know -- what's it gonna take for us to finish the migration
> > away from fedora.redhat.com.
> >
> > + Figure out if there's any content on there that *isn't* on
> > fedoraproject.org and needs to be.
> >
> > + If so, move it off.
> >
> > + point fedora.redhat.com/* at www.redhat.com/fedora/
> >
> > I know there was some talk on this in the past -- I'm curious to know if
> > we can finish off killing the beast.
> >

> One of the reasons we still have fedora.redhat.com is to provide a small set
> of static documents that could easily be translated and/or redistributed.  We
> need to decide what content we need to provide in such a static manner and
> get it into the new Plone site.  This will help us work towards removing
> fedora.redhat.com and will help us prepare to move the Plone site live.
>
> http://fpserv.fedoraproject.org/

In order to do this properly, we need a workflow in Plone that supports
"promotion."  We want people to be able to draft documents on the CMS
(like they currently do on the Wiki) in a dynamic way that supports
team-based community collaboration, and allows approved documents to be
promoted to official status, built into tarballs/HTML/PDF using
appropriate tools, etc.

In a perfect world, we would have a way to accomplish this as we do in
CVS (warning, crappy ASCII art rendering follows):

.------------------.        .-----------------.
| Easy CMS markup  |______\ | Editor tags to  |
| draft by authors |      / | DocBook or DITA |
'------------------'        '-----------------'
         |                     (PROMOTION 1)
         V                           |
.------------------.                 |
| Authors continue | /_______________|
| work using editor| \
| aware of DB/DITA |
| which locks tags |______\ .---------------------.
'------------------'      / | Editor snapshots a  |
      |   ^                 | publication version |
       ---                       (PROMOTION 2)

                            | Publisher tags for  |
                            | HTML/PDF/RPM/et al. |

I'm sure this is *possible*, but how to do it with volunteer manpower?

Does this beg the question of how much interaction documenters could
ultimately have with developers using the CMS?