Plone and static content

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Tue Apr 24 20:53:52 UTC 2007

Thomas Chung wrote:
> On 4/24/07, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
>> So Fedora is starting to mature a bit more in size and I wanted to get
>> this ball rolling.
>>
>> Since fedora.redhat.com is now gone the wiki is our official content
>> site.  There's a couple problems with that, performance is an issue and
>> most content on the wiki is developer oriented.  One thing we're working
>> on right now for the F7 release is a simple plone instance for the
>> fedoraproject.org landing page.  Note, the wiki isn't going away, but
>> when users go to fedoraproject.org they'll see more end-user content.
>>
>> My question for you guys is, once FAS2 is done and we get into having
>> more 'official content'.  What do you guys want to do with a plone
>> site?  The doc's guys will have their own site.  Is anyone interested in
>> this project?  The idea is that the 'official' fedora site will be very
>> small.  Having only minimal information for end users and potential
>> contributors.  It would then link to the larger sites like the wiki.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>>     -Mike
>
> Hi Mike,
> Can we see the site in development yet?
Not yet, I'm still in the process of learning plone myself, we've got
jonathan on our team which is why I'm not as worried about it as I used
to be.  But I'm armed with my book and some free time while we're
waiting on installing the builders for the merge so this seems like a
good time to get a sample site out.  It'll have very few authors and
only 1 or 2 pages.  So if we have to destroy it later, no big deal.
> I've been thinking we could use the plone site for
> news/communication/marketing site for fedora end-users. Of course a
> plenty of distribution/project information should be available which
> lead to joining various Fedora Projects including developments and
> testings.

Absolutely, really the biggest blocker is getting a proper account
system behind it which will happen shortly after F7 when fas2 launches.
It's ldap based.  But as far as I'm concerned plone instances will come
about just like anything else.  Fill out an RFR:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/RFR/ once we have a proper
plone setup getting new instances should be trivial.

    -Mike