static page for F7 release, new directions

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Apr 25 23:30:02 UTC 2007

For the Fedora 7 release, we are going to be using a static set of pages
for the front of fedoraproject.org.  For those of you who remember the
Fedora Core 6 release and how hammered the Wiki was, you'll be happy
that we can rest a bit easier for the coming release.

Here is a *mock-up* using current styling, based on some existing
conversations (source image below[1]); it is put forth for discussion on
this list:

http://people.redhat.com/~kwade/fedora/websites/images/main-page-redesign-0.1.png

Really, it's just a starting point for conversation.  I expect all ya'll
to speak up. :)

We'll either deliver this as a hand-built static set of pages, or we'll
use our spankin' new Plone instance[2] to output it.  Doing the latter
is useful because we simultaneously work up our CSS for Plone.

The static set of pages are:

Main page
  |=> Download via torrent
  |=> Download from a mirror
  |=> Fedora for end-users
  |=> Fedora for developers
  \=> Join Fedora

The only other links on the page are:

  [Docs] => docs.fedoraproject.org
  [Wiki] => fedoraproject.org/wiki (or wiki.fedoraproject.org?)
  Legal => fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal
  Trademark Guidelines => http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/TrademarkGuidelines

That is a reduction from 66 links (current front page) to 9.

The page we design or some variant of it can become the permanent
front-page for fedoraproject.org.  In that case, we'll work from the set
of redesign ideas from FUDCon[3], and in that scenario the links on the
page actually *reduce* to:

Main page
  |=> I want to do stuff with Fedora
  |=> I want to get Fedora and stuff
  |=> I want to join Fedora
  |=> Legal
  |=> Usage Policy
  \=> Trademark Guidelines

Something like that. :)

- Karsten

[1] Source GIMP file:
http://people.redhat.com/~kwade/fedora/websites/images/main-page-redesign-0.1.xcf

[2] http://fedoraproject.org/fedora/ is a Plone instance that, for
technical reasons, doesn't have full auth for everyone.  It is where we
are going to build out the design for the new pages.

[3] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Websites/MainPageRedesign2007
--
   Karsten Wade, 108 Editor       ^     Fedora Documentation Project