Wiki starting points? Drafts...

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Mon Apr 30 10:01:53 UTC 2007

Francis Earl wrote:
> I originally posted this to fedora-docs-list not knowing that was the
> wrong place for it... this is a copy and paste as I believe this list is
> more the correct place:
>
> I'm looking for somewhere to get started on the wiki, and I'm not sure
> where to proceed?

You can play in the sandbox: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/WikiSandBox
or view the code of any page to use as example.

> Just looking briefly at the "Getting Started" page, I believe a few
> improvements could be made. It's overtone is very professional, which is
> intimidating. I also think things like Graphic User Interface and Window
> Manager should provide links to wikipedia so the user can learn more
> about the topic if they wish. Wikipedia is provided in the Free Content
> bookmarks folder in Fedora 7t4, so I don't think that would be an issue?
> I think the wiki is the wrong place to try and explain such things
> though.

I used in some of my pages links to Wikipedia, so don't see a problem
with that.
Consider adding at the bottom of the page a "References" section and
list there links for further reading, but I don't think any term have to
be referenced, the Wiki is not for complete newbies (IMHO).

> Also, I don't see a way to upload images? There is a saying "a picture
> tells a thousand words", and I believe it's true. I don't even see a way
> to add images though? Screenshots (of a particular section of relevance
> on the desktop) would greatly clarify what things say, and provide an
> air of confidence for the user "I must be doing it right, it looks the
> same".

Use "Attachments" in the right menu to upload and attachment:filename to
include the attachment in your page.