Wiki starting points? Drafts...

Francis Earl lunitik at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 11:18:48 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 13:01 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Francis Earl wrote:
> > I originally posted this to fedora-docs-list not knowing that was the
> > wrong place for it... this is a copy and paste as I believe this list is
> > more the correct place:
> >
> > I'm looking for somewhere to get started on the wiki, and I'm not sure
> > where to proceed?
>
> You can play in the sandbox: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/WikiSandBox
> or view the code of any page to use as example.

That seems like a good source for figuring out some more codes, thank
you. It doesn't really seem like a place to really get started though, I
was more meaning pages to start adding content to.

> > Just looking briefly at the "Getting Started" page, I believe a few
> > improvements could be made. It's overtone is very professional, which is
> > intimidating. I also think things like Graphic User Interface and Window
> > Manager should provide links to wikipedia so the user can learn more
> > about the topic if they wish. Wikipedia is provided in the Free Content
> > bookmarks folder in Fedora 7t4, so I don't think that would be an issue?
> > I think the wiki is the wrong place to try and explain such things
> > though.
>
> I used in some of my pages links to Wikipedia, so don't see a problem
> with that.
> Consider adding at the bottom of the page a "References" section and
> list there links for further reading, but I don't think any term have to
> be referenced, the Wiki is not for complete newbies (IMHO).

I think it should be informative and accurate, but the language needn't
be so textbook like... I don't know, that's just my own opinion, maybe
others don't agree?

> > Also, I don't see a way to upload images? There is a saying "a picture
> > tells a thousand words", and I believe it's true. I don't even see a way
> > to add images though? Screenshots (of a particular section of relevance
> > on the desktop) would greatly clarify what things say, and provide an
> > air of confidence for the user "I must be doing it right, it looks the
> > same".

I can see this on the sandbox page also, great link, thank you for
pointing it out  :)