Wiki starting points? Drafts...

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Apr 30 10:11:20 UTC 2007

Francis Earl wrote:
> I originally posted this to fedora-docs-list not knowing that was the
> wrong place for it... this is a copy and paste as I believe this list is
> more the correct place:
>
> I'm looking for somewhere to get started on the wiki, and I'm not sure
> where to proceed?
>
> This lead me to the Drafts wiki page, am I free to edit these pages as I
> see fit? What is the etiquette here?

Yes you can but if you are making large changes either post to
fedora-docs list or talk to the authors enlisted. Do the changes
incrementally so folks can revert if necessary.

> Just looking briefly at the "Getting Started" page, I believe a few
> improvements could be made. It's overtone is very professional, which is
> intimidating. I also think things like Graphic User Interface and Window
> Manager should provide links to wikipedia so the user can learn more
> about the topic if they wish. Wikipedia is provided in the Free Content
> bookmarks folder in Fedora 7t4, so I don't think that would be an issue?
> I think the wiki is the wrong place to try and explain such things
> though.

You can add some minimal links where useful

> Also, I don't see a way to upload images? There is a saying "a picture
> tells a thousand words", and I believe it's true. I don't even see a way
> to add images though? Screenshots (of a particular section of relevance
> on the desktop) would greatly clarify what things say, and provide an
> air of confidence for the user "I must be doing it right, it looks the
> same".

Screenshots are a double edged sword at times. They make it hard for
translation. They are harder to keep updated. You can see some
discussions on appropriate usages in fedora docs list.

Rahul