small CSS request

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Aug 3 03:28:33 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 06:16 +0300, Samer E. Ziadeh wrote:

> * The notice at the top of the page should be changed to one of the
> messages from Dimitri's page:
> "||<tableclass="message warning2"> Message ||"

[snip]

> On 8/3/07, Dimitris Glezos <dimitris at glezos.com> wrote:

>         Most probably not what you are looking for, but you could make
>         the
>         notice a warning, or/and put a bold title in the notice. For
>         some
>         examples, see:
>

>         https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DimitrisGlezos/Sandbox#line-69

This brings up an interesting point I wanted to address with Dimitris.

First, I'm don't like to use an admonition for a different intention.
That is, if we use the "warning" admonition style, we want it to be an
actual warning.  This is a "note".

What I wanted to address was the slight repetitive nature of "warning"
and "bigger warning" and the other admonitions missing.  In DocBook XML,
we use a set that is fairly standard for technical content across
industries:  note, tip, caution, important, warning.

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/documentation-guide/en_US/sn-xml-admon.html

Those are in order of alarm, and usage can be described like this:

"Note: There is a cliff around the bend ahead."

"Tip: Don't stand by the edge of a cliff if you don't want to fall off."

"Caution: Cliff edges are slippery."

"Important:  You are standing too close to the edge of the cliff."

"Warning:  You are falling off the cliff, prepare for impact."

- Karsten
--
        Karsten Wade              ^     Fedora Documentation Project
     quaid.108.redhat.com         |          gpg key: AD0E0C41