Disabled TitleIndex and Category* pages

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Thu Jul 12 01:23:31 UTC 2007

John Poelstra wrote:
> Mike McGrath said the following on 07/11/2007 09:56 AM Pacific Time:
>> I disabled TitleIndex and Category.* pages under /wiki/ because
>> access to these pages was taking the wiki down.
>>
>>    -Mike
>>

> Who is leading the websites team?  Do you have regular meetings?  I
> couldn't find very much on the wiki.

There's not really an official leader or meetings.  I know some people
have been stepping more lately (like ricky) but the team itself is still
forming.
> This functionality (using categories as suggested by Bill Nottingham)
> was the cornerstone of the process flow I developed for managing
> features:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/Features/Policy#process-flow
> The process can be reworked, but using Categories saves shuffling
> pages around or renaming them.
I'll go ahead and enable them then.  It turns out this was not our
issue.  Something happened on thrusday night (I'm still investigating).

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/cacti/graph.php?action=view&local_graph_id=68&rra_id=all

Exactly what is it you're needing to do?  Categories are around now but
may not be forever.

> I've since received several indirect responses about what is happening
> with our wiki.  Is there a clear picture somewhere of the future and
> if the Category  problem or wiki performance ( > 30 seconds to save a
> page!) in general is on a road-map to be fixed.  Is this where Plone
> is supposed to fit in?

Unfortunately this is all in upstreams hands.  The fact is Moin was a
poor choice for us.  And while the developers have been really great and
helpful in solving a lot of our issues (and we've had them) there are
still core and fundamental design choices that are just eating us.  I
actually had to delete thousands of users so that page saves would go
from 1m30s to 30s.  Plone will never replace the wiki,  There is a
ticket open to replace the wiki:

https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/31

but thats going to be a long ways away.  Long story short... don't rely
on the wiki unless you absolutely have to, lesson learned ;-)

    -Mike