Templating -- mirrormanager and our other websites

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Sat Jul 28 18:29:45 UTC 2007

(To moderator: sorry for the same email sent from the other email address.)

Hi all.

Last night I played a bit with the mirrormanager kid templates:

  http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/

and tried to bring them along the lines of the current fedoraproject.org master
template and the look-n-feel of the content of translate.fedoraproject.org, and
came up to this:

  http://glezos.fedorapeople.org/mm-take3.png

Here's a list of most of our websites:

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Websites/DomainsList

In order to bring some of these under a common look-and-feel we can have
something like the following:

 - CSS
   - One global CSS that "just works" (think: fedoraproject.org)
   - One CSS with commonly-used items like the heading icons, etc.
   - Each website can have its own CSS, overriding values from the default
 - Templates
   - Can be overridden, so again, a master template can exist (think: fpo)
   - Probably another one or two, depending on our needs (eg. full-width etc).
   - Each website can define a master one overriding stuff from the default; eg.
     custom menu in sidebar -- see translate.fpo and above screenshot).
   - Every page of a website can, in turn, override the above.

CSS's are easy to import. For templates, Toshio suggested to create a package
that will contain all the templates, so that a TG app can use them, and we can
update the package if we need to change, for example, the footer of all our TG apps.

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos
http://dimitris.glezos.com/