Improving wiki localization

Samuel Bizien samuel-bizien at club-internet.fr
Mon Jun 25 17:36:43 UTC 2007

Le lundi 25 juin 2007 à 10:22 -0700, Karsten Wade a écrit :
> On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 14:08 +0200, Samuel Bizien wrote:
> > I don't understand ... What is it for ?
>
> When you put a CategoryFoo at the bottom of a page, it is automatically
> picked up as a link in the category.  Then, navigating to
> fedoraproject.org/wiki/CategoryFoo automatically builds out the list of
> pages.
Yes, but ...
What will be the goal ? Having a list of all pages that are translated
in a given language ?
We thought about it, few days ago, on fedora-trans-fr list. But it's
quite long (and not "user-friendly"), for a visitor to watch a page
listing all translated pages (for french version of the wiki, we have
about a hundred of translated pages ...).

But maybe i did not understand your point ...

But it could be useful for language teams, to keep track of all pages
that are translated.

> > Isn't it more simpler to have all translated version of the page listed
> > on the same page, than on different category pages ?
>
> That page would have to be created and maintained manually, yes?
Err ... yes (until we get automatic tools to do it).

> I think a manual page would be hard to keep updated.
Not necessary. It will be hard to switch to this tool, on wiki, as we'll
have to add these subpages to all translated pages in the wiki. But once
it's done, translators will have to keep these pages up to date: each
time they translate or update a page, they verify that their language is
listed. We could create a "mini-guideline" for this.

Samuel.