Improving wiki localization

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Jun 25 19:00:49 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 19:36 +0200, Samuel Bizien wrote:
> Le lundi 25 juin 2007 à 10:22 -0700, Karsten Wade a écrit :
> > On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 14:08 +0200, Samuel Bizien wrote:
> > > I don't understand ... What is it for ?
> >
> > When you put a CategoryFoo at the bottom of a page, it is automatically
> > picked up as a link in the category.  Then, navigating to
> > fedoraproject.org/wiki/CategoryFoo automatically builds out the list of
> > pages.
> Yes, but ...
> What will be the goal ?
> Having a list of all pages that are translated
> in a given language ?

I have just finished catching up on the thread, and I see my idea
doesn't approach the usability the other ideas have.  As you said ...

> We thought about it, few days ago, on fedora-trans-fr list. But it's
> quite long (and not "user-friendly"), for a visitor to watch a page
> listing all translated pages (for french version of the wiki, we have
> about a hundred of translated pages ...).

... it is not user friendly.

> But it could be useful for language teams, to keep track of all pages
> that are translated.

Yes, that would be useful.

Maybe we offer it as a practice suggestion/guideline.  "One way to help
keep track of your translated pages is to add CategoryLang$LANG to the
bottom of the page.  This helps you make sure that no pages are
forgotten after being translated, so they can be linked in to the
per-language table of contents."

BTW, side note ... I'm sorry that you all have to translate directly
into the Wiki.  IMO, you are heroes for the effort alone.  My hope is
that some of the systems being worked on right now are going to give us
a way to yank strings from the Wiki pages, put them in POT files, and
make this part of the regular tools.

- Karsten
--
   Karsten Wade, 108 Editor       ^     Fedora Documentation Project