Improving wiki localization

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Tue Jun 26 00:58:54 UTC 2007

O/H Rahul Sundaram έγραψε:
> Karsten Wade wrote:
>> On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 14:05 +0200, Bart Couvreur wrote:
>>
>>> Flags is a questionable thing, it's generally not advised to use flags
>>> (I remember reading that in Fedora's case it was even not allowed), due
>>> to political feelings etc.
>>
>> It is true that we try to watch that carefully; I don't think there is a
>> strict "not allowed" rule.
>
> Actually there is. I wrote that up a while back and announced it where I
> could. See
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Languages#head-2ae52dbef2515e18d66fba220112c712c9d2eb14

I agree about not associating a flag with a particular language.

Note, though, that localization is all about tweaking Fedora for a particular
region/country, which *is* associated with a flag. So, while putting the flag of
Brazil on the brazilian portuguese language is wrong, putting it on the website
of the "Fedora Brazil" team is not only fair, but very accurate.

Also, associating a bunch of (preferably non-existing) flags with the term
"localization" or "translations" shouldn't be bad either. The Artwork project
could indeed create an icon with non-existing-flags, like the Tango one:

http://tango.freedesktop.org/static/cvs/tango-icon-theme/32x32/apps/preferences-desktop-locale.png

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos