Wiki slowness

Máirí­n Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Wed Mar 21 01:38:51 UTC 2007

craig thomas wrote:
> --- Máirí­n Duffy <duffy at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Maybe this is a silly idea but it would be nice if
>> every wiki page's
>> change log was an RSS feed that people could
>> subscribe to. Then, rather
>> than parsing through the entire list of users every
>> edit to figure out
>> who to mail, moin would just write out a history
>> node in the RSS and
>> whoever was interested in it and is subscribed would
>> get it via
>> whichever RSS mechanism they choose.
>
> I think that is a great idea. Doesn't MoinMoin support
> RSS or syndication already?
>
> If not, RSS xml is simple enough...if some one can
> point me at the correct db.tables for the MoinMoin
> page edit logs/changes, generating a script to write
> xml/RSS files then fired via cron would be KISS, IMHO.
> (And just drop the display list of 'subscribers'...if
> they want it let em come get it via RSS).

I was thinking about this a bit more -

it might be easier for people to deal with one RSS feed rather than one
feed per page they are watching? So maybe they subscribe to pages using
the same mechanism, but in their preferences page when they login, where
it has all their subscriptions, they can also grab one RSS feed that
they can get info on all the pages they're subscribed to. I still think
one feed per page is also good - maybe someone who doesn't have a wiki
account wants to keep up with one page.

~m