Website update

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Mon May 14 19:03:15 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Replace the Fedora 7 image on the side with a FC6 DNA image or skip that
> out completely. Drop the last sentence in the With these three changes
> the front page becomes generic.

Done

> Replace the old disclaimer in the bottom with the new one currently in
> fedoraproject.org

Done

> Why is there so much black space at the end of the page? Is there any
> way we can fit in some dynamic news feeds into that page? I think there
> is enough space for that.

Black space issues should be fixed.

This is static html so unless i use insane javascript to pull in rss
feeds from fedoranews.org (which i can do, it's just insane :) ) this is
not happening with these pages.

I can write php probably to parse the RSS and display but it's probably
better if someone else does that and I can write a style for it. But I
thought the point of these pages was to be as light as possible for the
launch.

> During F7 launch we should link prominently to the Red Hat press
> release, release announcement and release summary.

+1

>> 2) Get Fedora:
>> http://people.redhat.com/duffy/fedora/web/get-fedora.html
>
> This is very nice but we divide users into those with high and low
> bandwidth connections.

Why is that a problem?

> Nitpicking here but the second section should
> also lead those without a net connection too.

Okay will do

> I would prefer we highlight the small boot.iso image for network
> installation much more here.

Can you give me some text for that? Honestly the wiki page does a great
job with all of this but I don't want to parrot the whole page. I want
this to be short and simple.

Do that many people really download the boot.iso image and do network
installs?

> Shouldn't we have a good page explaining the differences between
> different spins and what target they serve in this page?

I have no idea what the differences are between the different spins, I
don't even know what they are at this point. If you think this is really
important, can you point me to or draft some text to explain it?

Thinking about this we're going to be making it very difficult for
someone to just click a link and download what they want. Maybe the
download page should be refactored for each of the different spins? And
link directly?

~m