Website update

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon May 14 19:26:31 UTC 2007

Máirín Duffy wrote:

> Black space issues should be fixed.

Not yet. See my other mail.

> I can write php probably to parse the RSS and display but it's probably
> better if someone else does that and I can write a style for it. But I
> thought the point of these pages was to be as light as possible for the
> launch.

It is better to avoid PHP since we don't have that in Fedora
infrastructure. Post launch it would be nice to have some RSS feed for
news too. Maybe we can get Plone up and running by then.

>> During F7 launch we should link prominently to the Red Hat press
>> release, release announcement and release summary.
>
> +1

If you prepare and keep ready the Fedora 7 pages we can replace the ones
we are going to use easily.

>>> 2) Get Fedora:
>>> http://people.redhat.com/duffy/fedora/web/get-fedora.html
>>
>> This is very nice but we divide users into those with high and low
>> bandwidth connections.
>
> Why is that a problem?

Not a problem if you choose the wording to accommodate users without a
net connection which you already agree with.

>> I would prefer we highlight the small boot.iso image for network
>> installation much more here.
>
> Can you give me some text for that? Honestly the wiki page does a great
> job with all of this but I don't want to parrot the whole page. I want
> this to be short and simple.
>
> Do that many people really download the boot.iso image and do network
> installs?

Many people are simply not aware of it and still think Fedora doesn't
have a network installation feature.

Here is some sample text:

Generic version:

All ISO images of Fedora support a network installation feature which
you can use to install Fedora over a http/ftp/nfs network and can be
controlled remotely using VNC. A small (less than 10 MB) boot.iso image
is available from under the os/images folder in your favorite mirror.
You can access the network installation feature by entering the
"askmethod" option in the boot prompt. Read the Fedora installation
guide (link to http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/) for more
details.

Alternatively a FC6 specific version:

All ISO images of Fedora support a network installation feature which
you can use to install Fedora over a http/ftp/nfs network and can be
controlled remotely using VNC. A small (7.9 MB) boot.iso image is
available from
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/i386/os/images/
or in your favorite mirror. You can access the network installation
feature by entering the  "askmethod" option in the boot prompt. Read the
Fedora installation guide (link to
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/fc6/en/sn-alt-install-method.html)
for more details.

>> Shouldn't we have a good page explaining the differences between
>> different spins and what target they serve in this page?
>
> I have no idea what the differences are between the different spins, I
> don't even know what they are at this point. If you think this is really
> important, can you point me to or draft some text to explain it?
>
> Thinking about this we're going to be making it very difficult for
> someone to just click a link and download what they want. Maybe the
> download page should be refactored for each of the different spins? And
> link directly?

Yep. Don't worry about this for now for the FC6 pages. I will write
about the different spins before Fedora 7 release.

Rahul