Web lead

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue May 15 19:17:56 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 00:03 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> Siddharth Upmanyu wrote:
> > Hi
> > I would like to volunteer for this... have good understanding of wikis
> > and doing web development for ~6 yrs...
> > currently not bounded with dayjob and as my location is +5.30GMT it is
> > convenient too..
> excellent, can you make it to the fedora-admin meetings?  We've had a
> few people respond, I'm hoping to have them come to a few meetings and
> see if the times will work out.

Mike and all:

It sounds as if we have more than a single lead, we have the makings of
a SIG/sub-project/steering committee.  To get things started in Fedora,
we often form a steering committee out of the first and most interested
volunteers, and follow on with proper voting some time in the future
when it is obviously time.  This also gives time for people who e.g.
read this thread in a week to still become involved.

How does this sound:

* Get all the volunteers together to form a steering committee
* Let them wrangle out who is the "Lead"/chair
* Empower this group in a similar way to how Mike has empowered the
Infrastructure group

A steering committee is *not* bureaucratic nonsense.  It is a clear and
provable method for i) showing that something is important to the Fedora
Project, ii) making real action come from words.

I see that empowerment as being a simple process of letting people do
stuff, and over time giving them increasing responsibility,
accountability, and access.  Mike is the natural person to bring such a
steering committee and leadership upwards until it is ready to fly on
its own.

- Karsten
--
   Karsten Wade, 108 Editor       ^     Fedora Documentation Project