Web lead

Bart Couvreur couf at skynet.be
Tue May 15 19:28:00 UTC 2007

Karsten Wade schreef:
> On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 00:03 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
>> Siddharth Upmanyu wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> I would like to volunteer for this... have good understanding of wikis
>>> and doing web development for ~6 yrs...
>>> currently not bounded with dayjob and as my location is +5.30GMT it is
>>> convenient too..
>> excellent, can you make it to the fedora-admin meetings?  We've had a
>> few people respond, I'm hoping to have them come to a few meetings and
>> see if the times will work out.
>
> Mike and all:
>
> It sounds as if we have more than a single lead, we have the makings of
> a SIG/sub-project/steering committee.  To get things started in Fedora,
> we often form a steering committee out of the first and most interested
> volunteers, and follow on with proper voting some time in the future
> when it is obviously time.  This also gives time for people who e.g.
> read this thread in a week to still become involved.
>
> How does this sound:
>
> * Get all the volunteers together to form a steering committee
> * Let them wrangle out who is the "Lead"/chair
> * Empower this group in a similar way to how Mike has empowered the
> Infrastructure group
>
> A steering committee is *not* bureaucratic nonsense.  It is a clear and
> provable method for i) showing that something is important to the Fedora
> Project, ii) making real action come from words.
>
> I see that empowerment as being a simple process of letting people do
> stuff, and over time giving them increasing responsibility,
> accountability, and access.  Mike is the natural person to bring such a
> steering committee and leadership upwards until it is ready to fly on
> its own.
>
> - Karsten

Yeah, we should definitely have a sort of steering committee, with this
amount of people volunteering (some others may want to join in as well).

Giving people this, would also make people give some time to get the
real stuff done (e.g. get Plone up and running).

A big +1 to let Mike set this group on track.

Great idea, Karsten

Bart

- --
Bart <couf at fedoraproject.org> <couf at skynet.be>
key fingerprint: 6AAB 544D 3432 D013 776D  3602 ADB6 6B2A D93F 0F93