Website update

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu May 17 09:16:41 UTC 2007

> Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >> Fluffy, yea but but the text you have has two issues that I can spot.
> >> Defining Linux as the operating system instead of Fedora as a Linux
> >> based operating system runs us straight into the Linux vs GNU/Linux
> >> debate which we have carefully sidestepped before.
> >
> > People know what "Linux" is.
>
> Right. Changing from "Fedora is a linux operating system" to "Fedora is
> a Linux based operating system" doesn't change that.

Let's look at "Linux-based" and roll it around our tongues for a few
days.  I get Rahul's point, and if we can avoid baiting the trolls by
adding six characters, I'm for it. :)

> >> The last sentence "leading edge" is too close to "bleeding edge". I
> >> would like to emphasize a bit more on robustness too.
> >
> > I disagree on that point but then again I'm not a professional writer.
>
> Well I am, atleast technically. Karsten?

Naturally I'm thoughtful on this area for a different reason.
"Leading-edge" was old(er) wording, maybe it left because it was too
close to "bleeding-edge", not sure about that.  Anyway, it was a phrase
I am still not sure about.  Sometimes it seems like a nice compromise
from bleeding; not quite at the sharp part, but almost there, like this
close: > <

I guess the point for me is that "leading" and "bleeding" are subject to
interpretation and are thusly either hyperbolic or inaccurate.  It never
means quite the same thing to two different people.  Also, both terms
seem to me to be reactions to the overused "cutting edge."   Oi, these
gerunds!

Anyway, all that said, I still don't have a solution.  More words is not
the answer.  I'm actually tempted to go with fewer, but "... the edge of
software created by ..." doesn't sound right, as-is.

... still thinking ...

- Karsten
--
   Karsten Wade, 108 Editor       ^     Fedora Documentation Project