step 5 - send a self-introduction email

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 17:21:08 UTC 2008

mapleoin at lavabit.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been playing around with Linux for 3-4 years and have now decided to
> be part of a team of contributors. So, I've been playing with the joining
> fedora-websites process all day and I finally got to the introductory
> step.
>
> I've already created a wiki account: IonuțArțăriși and
> a FAS one: mapleoin.
>
> I'm primarily interested in developing my web programming skills. I've had
> experience as a web developer(mainly as a hobby, but have also developed
> two websites using django and rails). I think my HTML\CSS skills are good
> and my python/ruby skills are those of a begginer. I'd really love to help
> with server side programming where I can, but I also think I'll need some
> guidance. A mentor would be nice, but I guess the IRC channel will do just
> fine otherwise :).
> I'm a bit tired of arranging elements with CSS, so that wouldn't be very
> attractive for me and I'm also not very happy doing the webdesign job.
>
> I hope that's ok for starters.
>
> Now, when/how do I begin? Where do I go next? (I have to say I loved the
> well-documented steps until now).

Hi mapleoin!

I see that you talked to ricky already on IRC.  He's one of our main
developers so it's definitely good that you connected.  Luke Macken
(lmacken), Matt Domsch (mdomsch), Yaakov Nemoy (loupgaroublond), John
Palmieri (J5), and I (abadger1999) are some of the other developers.
We're all available on irc.freenode.net in #fedora-admin and on the
fedora-infrastructure-list mailing list.

We'd be happy to have you join us!  (More than happy, ecstatic!)  If you
want to stay away from the web design portion and work more on the
server-side programming aspect, that's fine, a lot of our work starts
off with a basic, functional interface and when it gets to be enough of
an eyesore, we'll get someone to help redesign the look and feel.

I have a number of tasks that you can jump into with greater and lesser
degrees of independence.  We'll be around to help on IRC whether you
take on one of the independent tasks, or one that's part of another project.

High value, independent project:
* Write a new voting application in TurboGears.  Our present voting
application is just a cgi script that needs to be updated for every
election.  We'd like to be able to add new elections via the web, have a
history view of past elections, and other enhancements.  Just getting
the basics into a TurboGears application would let us get rid of an
aging code-base (fedora-accounts) that we don't want to support anymore.

Part of a larger project:
* I have a large number of outstanding features against the pkgdb that
I'd like to see added. These range from redesigning the JSON API to
adding UI to jump directly to packages.  This could give you some ideas:
https://fedorahosted.org/packagedb/report/3

-Toshio