Simple website

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Apr 28 23:01:41 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 08:51 -0400, Craig Thomas wrote:
> From what I can tell, every other fedora group
> have a clear team lead, and that lead has a RH e-mail addy. I suspect
> that fact brings more cohesion and direction to those groups.

This is no longer true. FESCo, Fedora L10n, Bug Triage are three that
come immediately to mind.

Back when Fedora Extras was just a gleam in the eyes of a few folks,
what you are saying was definitely true.  @redhat.com had a very
important gravity that started things going.

The idea that is still a requirement saddens me.  But I *totally* agree
with the perception, in that it is often the @redhat.com person who can
take $dayjob time to commit to organizing stuff.

In Fedora, I've taken a bit of a pinch hitter role in that way, lending
either @redhat.com or Fedora Board Member as some gravity to get a
critical mass going.

But these days, I know with 100% certainty that every time I do that, a
kitten dies.  But every time I sit back and enable and let someone ...
such as yourself ... do it instead, ten kittens are born.  That's a
factual ratio.

<snip>

> Perhaps I have done nothing but reiterate your point that we suck, but
> I guess my point is that yea, we do, but perhaps it's time for some
> one of the few leaders we do have to drive us, to establish a meeting
> time and point us in $the_direction so we can be less sucky.

Let me give an example.  Before the last FUDCon, Jon Stanley, who is
leading the revitalized Bug Triage team (with the help of @redhat.com
people, who we *are* a bit ubiquitous), said, "It's time we do this,
I'll come down there on Friday and we'll kick off a bug triage
SIG." (paraphrase)  I offered to pick him up at the airport, there was a
BarCamp session the next day, and away it went.  Ten kittens were born.

- Karsten
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41