Simple website

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Tue Apr 29 02:22:58 UTC 2008

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, Juan Camilo Prada wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 19:06 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > > >

> > > I couldnt agree more!!
> > >
> > > what i tried to say last time was that this kind of ideas are not being
> > > seriously taken as we keep discussing if fp.o need changes or not and if
> > > those changes should be huge or small.
> > >
> > > i can remember how i did some changes to the layout a few months ago,
> > > and lots of people say "hey this is great..." but then nobody took it
> > > seriously. So as long as we dont take any actions we will be stuck at
> > > this point of discussion.
> > >

> > Please find this in the list, and show us the patch you gave us.  I take
> > comments like these very very seriously.  If you sent us stuff and it just
> > went down the tube, thats bad.  If you said "I've got an idea" and it was
> > ignored, thats because idea's != change.
> >
> > 	-Mike
> >

> It was a discussion about the same issues we were discussing here. I
> wrote a script to parse some rss news from different sites, and played a
> bit with m??ir??n's designs to create what you can see in this link ->
> http://juankprada.livejournal.com/4805.html (now that i look back to
> that post i see you were one of the people who liked what i did, Mike).
> If you really want the comments on the list i could only find this link
> (i didnt really search)
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-websites-list/2008-February/msg00034.html
>
> I talked to ricky about that idea and we both agreed that it would be
> good to make the changes but it would be better to wait till some
> changes on the infrastructure (im still not sure i understood what he
> said) so i keep waiting (thats why im in a rush for stop talking and
> start working).
>
> So this all goes to the starting point in which i said we lack of
> leadership. If somebody has an idea that could make a change then who
> decide if it is ok or not?... we are not even voting for such things and
> so we comment about those ideas here on the ml and some people dislike
> the idea and then thats all for it. Even if lots of people support your
> idea, when two or three dislike it then nothing is done.
>
> Now quaid is/was working on something similar and i support him as i
> would really like such features to appear on the website, and im pretty
> sure that he started to work on that feature because (just like me and
> probably a lot more people in here) he saw the need of it on the
> website.
>
> ???As you said idea's != change, but so, this is the prove that something
> similar to what i did needs to be done, as im not the only one thinking
> about such feature.

1) So you posted this image...

2) Everyone liked it...

3) Patch submitted.

So what happened between 2 and 3?  More precisely I ask, what do you think
_should_ have happened?  In my mind, step 3 comes next.  As a volunteer in
Fedora (even long before I had @redhat.com on my email) I just kept
working on stuff, pushing to get stuff in until someone said no.  When
they did, I found out why and fixed it.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Websites/ShowUs was built with that in mind

There may be a hangup or two, but those are minor technical details when
compared to getting an active working site in order.

	-Mike