Simple website

Juan Camilo Prada juankprada at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 02:53:20 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 21:22 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, Juan Camilo Prada wrote:

> > > Please find this in the list, and show us the patch you gave us.  I take
> > > comments like these very very seriously.  If you sent us stuff and it just
> > > went down the tube, thats bad.  If you said "I've got an idea" and it was
> > > ignored, thats because idea's != change.
> > >
> > > 	-Mike
> > >

> > It was a discussion about the same issues we were discussing here. I
> > wrote a script to parse some rss news from different sites, and played a
> > bit with m??ir??n's designs to create what you can see in this link ->
> > http://juankprada.livejournal.com/4805.html (now that i look back to
> > that post i see you were one of the people who liked what i did, Mike).
> > If you really want the comments on the list i could only find this link
> > (i didnt really search)
> >
> > https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-websites-list/2008-February/msg00034.html
> >
> > I talked to ricky about that idea and we both agreed that it would be
> > good to make the changes but it would be better to wait till some
> > changes on the infrastructure (im still not sure i understood what he
> > said) so i keep waiting (thats why im in a rush for stop talking and
> > start working).
> >
> > So this all goes to the starting point in which i said we lack of
> > leadership. If somebody has an idea that could make a change then who
> > decide if it is ok or not?... we are not even voting for such things and
> > so we comment about those ideas here on the ml and some people dislike
> > the idea and then thats all for it. Even if lots of people support your
> > idea, when two or three dislike it then nothing is done.
> >
> > Now quaid is/was working on something similar and i support him as i
> > would really like such features to appear on the website, and im pretty
> > sure that he started to work on that feature because (just like me and
> > probably a lot more people in here) he saw the need of it on the
> > website.
> >
> > ???As you said idea's != change, but so, this is the prove that something
> > similar to what i did needs to be done, as im not the only one thinking
> > about such feature.
> >

> 1) So you posted this image...
>
> 2) Everyone liked it...
>
> 3) Patch submitted.
>
> So what happened between 2 and 3?  More precisely I ask, what do you think
> _should_ have happened?  In my mind, step 3 comes next.  As a volunteer in
> Fedora (even long before I had @redhat.com on my email) I just kept
> working on stuff, pushing to get stuff in until someone said no.  When
> they did, I found out why and fixed it.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Websites/ShowUs was built with that in mind
>
> There may be a hangup or two, but those are minor technical details when
> compared to getting an active working site in order.
>
> 	-Mike

As i said (i hope you actually read the whole message), ricky though it
would be better to wait for some changes in the way the websites were
handled so im waiting.

now, im thinking you are going to the branches and avoiding the main
subject here. this is not about why my proposal isnt being used, but the
way we are handling things here.

I hope you dont take this personal, but i think you are one of the guys
who are delaying the advance and progress of the website team. i know
you help a lot and i give you credit for that. But you are always the
one who is against new proposals and ideas.

Also i dont want to sound like a mr. know-it-all but we are talking here
about a website and thats a very dynamic field in which changes needs to
be done quick because new requirements will show up before you finish
building the previous ones. If you ever heard about RAD (rapid
application development) this is the field in which it should be
applied, and having long discussions about what should/shouldn't be done
is not helping.

back to the main subject, Users demand information, and as a project we
should provide that information, and the kind of information they demand
changes very quick, we cant always show the same info or the website
will be useless as people might already know whats in it so they wont
visit it.